City of Lost Souls [The Mortal Instruments]
It's the fifth installment of such a great series by Cassandra Clare.
Those who know me would've known my obsession for this series.
I'd give 5/5 for this book because it's just THAT amazing. *awesomeness overload*
The characters in the series have becoming more matured, emotionally and physically it made me proud like a Mommy who has watched her children went through the evil phase of adulthood and turn up to be well-refined human beings, in all aspects of life. *tears of joy and relief*
Love and salvation.
Those matters are the subjects of discussion in this book and Miss Cassandra Clare has once again proved to us that she's capable in writing such an astounding and captivating book which made me hold my breath every time I turned to the next page.
I even cried reading this book. Okay, I cried reading all the books in this series, boo-hoo me.
Now, I'm going to list down some of the quotes from the book and hopefully,you can see why I love the characters so freaking darn much.
Simon - Clary's best friend ever, a geek who thinks he's a hipster.
“No. Absolutely not.”
“Simon,” she said. “It’s a perfectly fine plan.”
“The plan where you follow Jace and Sebastian off to some unknown dimensional pocket and we use these rings to communicate so those of us over here in the regular dimension of Earth can track you down? That plan?”
“Yes.”
“No,” he said. “No, it isn’t.”
Clary sat back. “You don’t just get to say no.”
“This plan involves me! I get to say no! No.”
“Simon—”
Simon patted the seat beside him as if someone were sitting there. “Let me introduce you to my good friend No.”
***
“Basia coquum," Simon said. "Or whatever their motto is."
"It's 'Descensus Averno facilis est.' 'The descent into hell is easy," said Alec. "You just said "Kiss the cook."
"Dammit," said Simon. "I knew Jace was screwing with me.”
***
“I've noticed the Fair Folk often say 'perhaps' when there is a truth they want to hide," Clary said. "It keeps you from having to give a straight answer."
"Perhaps so," said the Queen with an amused smile.
"'Mayhap' is a good word too," Alec suggested.
"Also 'perchance,'" Izzy said.
"I see nothing wrong with 'maybe'," said Simon. "A little modern, but the gist of the idea comes across.”
Jace - The hottest guy in the world and Clary's man.
“He grinned. It was a wicked grin, the kind that made the blood in Clary's veins run a little faster. "You want to go on a date?"
Caught off guard, she stammered. "A wh-what?"
"A date," Jace repeated. "Often 'a boring thing you have to memorize in history class,' but in this case, 'an offering of an evening of blisteringly white-hot romance with yours truly."
"Really?" Clary was not sure what to make of this. "Blisteringly white-hot?"
"It's me," said Jace. "Watching me play Scrabble is enough to make most women swoon. Imagine if I actually put in some effort.”
***
“He grinned. “I was trying to remember all the deadly sins the other day,” he said. “Greed,envy, gluttony, irony, pedantry…”
“I’m pretty sure irony isn’t a deadly sin.” (-Clary)
“I’m pretty sure it is.”
“Lust,” she said. “Lust is a deadly sin.”
“And spanking.”
“I think that falls under lust.”
“I think it should have its own category,” said Jace. “Greed, envy, gluttony, irony, pedantry, lust, and spanking.”
***
“Because viewing my naked chest has caused many women to seriously injure themselves stampeding to get to me.”
Clary - The bravest/coolest girl in town, Jace's girl
“There is that. I might have better luck telling him I’m in love with him. Jace thinks everyone’s in love with him anyway.”
“But I,” said Clary, “actually am.”
“But I,” said Clary, “actually am.”
***
“I stabbed you. With a massive sword. You caught on fire." His lips twitched, almost imperceptibly."Okay, so maybe our problems aren't like other couples.”
Magnus Bane - A super sexy warlock, Alec's boyfriend
“Ah,” said Magnus. “Nerd love. It is a beautiful thing, while also being an object of mockery and hilarity for those of us who are more sophisticated.”
***
“Even the trip throught the Portal had not disarranged Magnus's hair spikes. He tugged on one proudly. "Check it out", he said to Isabelle.
"Magic?"
"Hair gel. $3.99 at Ricky's.”
"Magic?"
"Hair gel. $3.99 at Ricky's.”
***
“Speaking of hope, did you see that shot Alec got off with his bow? That's my boyfriend.”
***
“I know about parabatai,” said Magnus, an angry, dark undercurrent to his voice. “I’ve known parabatai so close they were almost the same person; do you know what happens, when one of them dies, to the one that’s left —?”
***
“Magnus's eyes went back to Alec. They were gold-green, as unreadable as the eyes of the cat he held on his lap. "Not my favorite topic, Smedley."
"Simon", said Simon. "If I'm going to die for you all, the least you could do is remember my name.”
"Simon", said Simon. "If I'm going to die for you all, the least you could do is remember my name.”
***
“I have a feeling you're right, Sherwin.'
'Simon. My name is Simon.”
'Simon. My name is Simon.”
Alec - Jace's parabatai, Magnus's love of life.
“I don't care," Clary said. "He'd do it for me. Tell me he wouldn't. If I were missing-"
"He'd burn the whole world down till he could dig you out of the ashes. I know," Alec said.”
"He'd burn the whole world down till he could dig you out of the ashes. I know," Alec said.”
Isabelle - A kick-ass yet vulnerable girl, has fallen head over heels for Simon.
“Isabelle snorted. 'All the boys are gay. In this truck, anyway. Well, not you, Simon.'
'You noticed' said Simon.
'I think of myself as a freewheeling bisexual,' added Magnus.
'Please never say those words in front of my parents,' said Alec. 'Especially my father.'
'I thought your parents were okay with you, you know, coming out,' Simon said, leaning around Isabelle to look at Alec, who was — as he often was — scowling, and pushing his floppy dark hair out of his eyes. Aside from the occasional exchange, Simon had never talked to Alec much. He wasn’t an easy person to get to know. But, Simon admitted to himself, his own recent estrangement from his mother made him more curious about Alec’s answer than he would have been otherwise.
'My mother seems to have accepted it,' Alec said. 'But my father — no, not really. Once he asked me what I thought had turned me gay.'
Simon felt Isabelle tense next to him. 'Turned you gay?' She sounded incredulous. 'Alec, you didn’t tell me that.'
'I hope you told him you were bitten by a gay spider,' said Simon.
Magnus snorted; Isabelle looked confused. 'I’ve read Magnus’s stash of comics,' said Alec, 'so I actually know what you’re talking about' A small smile played around his mouth. 'So would that give me the proportional gayness of a spider?'
'Only if it was a really gay spider,' said Magnus, and he yelled as Alec punched him in the arm. 'Ow, okay, never mind.”
'You noticed' said Simon.
'I think of myself as a freewheeling bisexual,' added Magnus.
'Please never say those words in front of my parents,' said Alec. 'Especially my father.'
'I thought your parents were okay with you, you know, coming out,' Simon said, leaning around Isabelle to look at Alec, who was — as he often was — scowling, and pushing his floppy dark hair out of his eyes. Aside from the occasional exchange, Simon had never talked to Alec much. He wasn’t an easy person to get to know. But, Simon admitted to himself, his own recent estrangement from his mother made him more curious about Alec’s answer than he would have been otherwise.
'My mother seems to have accepted it,' Alec said. 'But my father — no, not really. Once he asked me what I thought had turned me gay.'
Simon felt Isabelle tense next to him. 'Turned you gay?' She sounded incredulous. 'Alec, you didn’t tell me that.'
'I hope you told him you were bitten by a gay spider,' said Simon.
Magnus snorted; Isabelle looked confused. 'I’ve read Magnus’s stash of comics,' said Alec, 'so I actually know what you’re talking about' A small smile played around his mouth. 'So would that give me the proportional gayness of a spider?'
'Only if it was a really gay spider,' said Magnus, and he yelled as Alec punched him in the arm. 'Ow, okay, never mind.”
***
“Tell me,” Isabelle said.“Who it was. That my father had the affair with.”
Source: Goodreads
- That's it for now. I'm off to bed first.
Comments
Post a Comment